HPN Comprehensive SBCC strategy really bringing its impact over mainstreaming SBCC program coordination across inter-divisional and inter-directorate planning and implementation of SBCC activities. The SBCC coordination has now been institutionalized through functionality of the 5-tier national level committees and conducting of meetings at the ministry and directorates.
In continuation of mainstreaming SBCC program coordination, the second meeting of the National Steering Committee for the implementation of HPN SBCC Strategy had a good display of such functionality of the program coordination when it met on October 20, 2020 being Mr. Md. Abdul Mannan, Secretary, HSD, MoHFW as Chair and Mr. Md. Ali Noor, Secretary, ME & FWD as Co-chair. The Additional Secretaries from both of these divisions of the MoHFW were also present. The Directorates under the MoHFW represents in this meeting were DGFP, DG-NIPORT, LD-IEM, LD-NNS, LD-LHEP and Chief-BHE. In addition to other MoHFW officials, this meeting was also represented by the MoI, Bangladesh Betar, UNFPA and Ujjiban officials. This meeting was attended by a total of 24 of such officials mentioned above.
With the facilitation by Ms. Nilufar Nazneen, Joint Secretary-PH, HSD, MoHFW; this meeting had a good level of interactions over few issues as;
- HPN SBCC cell to establish at the MoHFW to further bringing upon momentum in the SCCC program planning and implementation
- Defining of the Best Practices and the holding of a national level fair on the 14 of the Best Practices so far been received from GoB and NGOs programs
- Resolving the issues related to the assumed duplication of HPN activities being conducted by the MoLGRDC in the City Corporations and selected municipalities
- MoHFW circular on the SBCC coordination committees will require revision as there were changes in the portfolio of few of the ministry level officials
- Review of the Annual SBCC Monitoring Report and decision for its publication
- Review and approval of the Leadership and Coordination curriculum and holding of the ToT.
After a threadbare discussion, participants comment and expressed views; the meeting came up with the following decisions:
- The Public Health-2 section of the MoHFW will undertake necessary initiatives in establishing the HPN SBCC cell at the MoHFW
- A Best Practice/Success Story fair be held virtually during the month of November and an e-magazine will be published in this occasion
- The cascaded model of Leadership and Coordination curriculum has been approved and ToT be held within a shortest possible time
- A revised GoB circular will be issued on the SBCC coordination committees to incorporate changes in the portfolio of few of the ministry level officials
- Annual SBCC Monitoring Report 2018-2019 will be published with an immediate effect
- A 3-member committee comprised of the Additional Secretary, Planning Wing, HSD, MoHFW; DGFP and LD-NNS will review the control and management of HPN activities conducted by the MoLGRDC and its impact in the City Corporations and selected municipalities to report back to both of the Secretaries of HSD and ME & FW, MoHFW.
At the end, the Chairperson of the meeting thanked the development partners including USAID for their support to the HPN activities in Bangladesh. He also thanked Ujjiban SBCC project for their continuous TA support to the MoHFW and the HPN directorates.